VILLAGE HILL COHOUSING, now accepting applications for late 2018 household vacancies, will be an inclusive, multigenerational community which will constitute28 homes located one mile from the vibrant downtown area of Northampton, Massachusetts, and surrounded by wooded conservation land.
Healthy living, personal growth, mutual support and ecologically sustainable practices – together with personal privacy – will be among the major benefits Village Hill Cohousing offers.
Walking and bike paths, plus nearby bus routes, will make VCH the perfect location for eco-minded families and individuals who want to live lightly on the land in a forward-thinking larger community. The group’s core group of 10 member households is currently working with project developer Sunwood Builders and Fitch Architects to cooperatively design the community.
Village Hill seeks new members who wish to lead a life centered in community involvement, ecological sustainability, and supportive friendships.
A land disposition agreement has been signed with Mass Development, reserving our site of approximately 6 acres on Village Hill. The town planning board approved an earlier plan and is expected to finalize the current one this spring. Site work is slated to begin in the spring of 2018, with the first homes ready for occupancy by early 2019.
About Village Hill Cohousing:
The entire infrastructure of the Village Hill Cohousing site will be energy-efficient construction and will be inspired by the International Institute’s “Living Building Challenge,” balancing a greatly reduced ecological impact with sustainability and livability.
• Compassionate living, sustainability, community and connection
• Working towards building a diverse, multi-generational community
• Energy-efficient homes and common house
• Permaculture principles and design, including edible trees, bushes and plants
• Green space, gardens and beautiful views, surrounded by protected woodlands
• Variety of unit sizes, types and prices
• A short walk or bike ride to downtown Northampton
• Close to restaurants, entertainment, arts, music, education (hub of the “Five-College” area)
• Close to bike rail trails, hiking, snowshoe and cross-country ski trails, waterways, and many rich opportunities for outdoor activities
• Local bus line stop and rail trail spur are in the neighborhood
• Bus and Amtrak service to major cities; 45-minute drive to Bradley International Airport
• Centrally located in New England: about 4.0 hours to New York City, less than 2 hours to Boston
A city of 30,000 people, Northampton is a unique and special blend of urban and rural, historic and contemporary, intellectual, artsy, athletic, and entrepreneurial energy. The area hosts five colleges and universities. For more information, visit:
If our shared values of compassionate living, sustainability, and community and connection resonate with you, we look forward to speaking with you.
To edit your listing, follow these instructions.